Lifestyle: How do I even go to the gym?

June 23, 2013

If you're crazy like me, going to the gym is one of your hobbies. When people ask me what I do for fun, I include going to the gym. Some people want to, but their problem is not knowing what to do once they get there. There's so many options, it can be a bit overwhelming. Here's some tips to help you get the best experience when you're working up a sweat!
photo credit: weheartit.com
  • 1. Go with a friend!
Using the buddy system is a good way to stay safe when traveling in an unknown place, however it's always a good way to keep up motivation to work out! Most gyms allow every person one guest for free or for a small charge. It's worth it! I've brought my best friend once and my boyfriend once. It's comparable to showing someone your new house; there's so much to explore!
It's also fun to show your friend your routine or secrets, or they can spill some to you as well. I run with friends often, too. Studies have shown that people that work out in pairs or groups tend to burn more calories. You're talking and bonding, and you forget that you're working out. Think of all the teamwork you can do, and you can motivate each other. If your friend is slacking off, just remind them of their potential beach bod.


  • Double Whammy
Whenever you go to the gym or work out, split it up between cardio and lifting. Save one day a week for muscle strength - maybe do pilates!
A typical gym day for me goes:
15 minutes running on the treadmill at 6.5 - 5.5 at 1.0 incline. You could also walk at 4.5 at a high incline to work your large muscle groups in your legs and butt!
15 minutes either on the elliptical or bike (or 8 minutes on the stairmaster)
then 30 minutes of lifting.
If you're not into the cardio machines (trust me, I despise treadmills), here's some cardio alternatives!
- Step Cardio
- Mountain Climbers
- Burpees
- Burpee push-ups for an extra challenge
- Jumping jacks
- Sprints
rotate the work outs about for 30-45 seconds each for an amazing Tabata interval challenge. It gets you in shape fast!

photo credit: weheartit.com


  • Know What You Wanna Work!
Before you start going to the gym or start any workout routine, take a good look at your body. Of course, we should all appreciate our bodies, flaws and all, but what do you want to tone? That's the mindset you should have. Don't think, "I have a flabby stomach," think, "I wish I had flatter abs."
So, if you want to perk up your behind, think how much you want to tone up your butt!
Here's some work outs that will hit every problem spot on your body:
Abs: Planks, Double crunches, Leg raises and toe touches, hollow rocks
Legs: lunges, squats
Butt: plie squats, squat jumps, squats


  • Music Gives You Motivation
Music really does make everything better. If you have an arm band, you can easily put your iPod or iPhone in it and run, lift, and more freely. You can run to the beat of the music, or simply let the music motivate you. I never use my iPod when I run on the streets or on trails, so it's an extra treat to have when I'm on the dreaded treadmill. My gym has "Planet Fitness TV" that plays music and ads. Some gyms, including mine, have a place to charge your iPod and a headphone jack so you can listen to your iPod and charge it simultaneously, or listen to one of the TVs playing!

When it comes to working out - just find what fits you. You might not hit it on the head the first time. I learned that after games and games of being benched in basketball. However, that all changed the first time I crossed the finish line in a cross country race. You might like Pilates, Yoga, Spin, Tabata, or even Dance. Most gyms have classes and even bonuses such as tanning and massages. I personally don't tan, but that's because my fair Irish skin can't handle it. Whatever you need to get started and in a rhythm  Once you're in that rhythm  you don't wanna get out of it. It may be late June, but it's never too late to start getting ready for bikini season!


SIDE NOTE - I'm currently typing this in LAX and this is my first time in LA, everyone is SO stylish here! I've seen sneaker wedges styled countless ways and now I've decided to snag a pair for myself. I'll be doing my OOTW for my week in Hawaii. Keep on the lookout for more

Listen:
Dead Sea - The Lumineers
Young Volcanoes - Fall Out Boy
Obvious Bicycle - Vampire Weekend.

You Might Also Like

0 comments