The Last Hurrah (In Many Respects), and #GOMO with Eventbrite

June 06, 2016

This weekend was my last before I start my full-time summer internship. It was my last weekend, my last hurrah. It wasn't quite an all-out bender, but I sure did have a lot of fun! I always say that my best plans are made last-minute, or on a whim. This couldn't be any truer about this weekend. 

When my friend texted me "wanna go to all three days of Boston Calling?", it seemed like a no-brainer to me. I was very willing to spend the money to have a mini vacation with a good friend before my new journey began.


I don't know if it's me, but when someone asks me to do anything that involves tickets, money, public transportation, and intense planning - I get discouraged at first. However, I didn't let myself have that discouragement this time. Eventbrite is getting everyone out of their anxious shells and into concert halls, hiking trails, airplanes, movie theaters, and more. They say that "GOMO" is the new "FOMO". They say, instead of having the much-feared "fear of missing out", they want to nurture people "going out more often". You can even host your own event if you want and ticket it right online

FOMO is even in the Oxford dictionary, defined as “anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website.” Perhaps we can add a new word to the dictionary - "GOMO" defined as people spending their hard-earned cash on experiences instead of material things.

An avid concert-goer myself, I usually spend between $15-$45 on concert tickets and I go to shows once or twice a month. During my time at Boston Calling, I saw Sia, The Front Bottoms, The Vaccines, HAIM, Elle King, and Disclosure. Sia tickets would've gone for $80 alone, so seeing all of those acts would've been way over $180 separately. 

Due to the insane crowds, I couldn't really see the stage for Sia. Just like a fellow concert-goer said, every song was so fire, it didn't matter that I was so far away. I also got to see Maddie from Dance Moms and Kristen Wiig dance for Sia on stage. If I didn't go out, I wouldn't be able to say that I shared air with Kristen Wiig.


After all, it was a great weekend to reconnect with friends and great music on the last weekend of summer. In the end, I'm glad I went out more often. 



Never miss a tweet:
Twitter
Facebook
Bloglovin
Instagram
Pinterest
Sign up for my E-MAIL alerts!

You Might Also Like

0 comments