LIFESTYLE: CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND KALE FRITTATA

December 18, 2014


Thanksgiving and Christmas morning lend themselves to a quick and light breakfast. Quick because you'll be busy either unwrapping presents, getting ready, or watching the parade. Light because you'll be stuffing yourself with heavy side dishes, deserts, main courses, appetizers, or perhaps some bubbly. I've always heard of "frittatas" but I've never had or made one. To me, it's a mix between a quiche and an egg pizza.



Baby kale is so delicate - it looks like a flower or a head of lettuce when it's chopped. It also wilts just like spinach.

To keep with my theme of light, I chose some nutrient and protein dense fillers: kale and chicken sausage. I love the al fresco chicken sausages, I chose the flavor roasted pepper and asiago. P.S. I had a breakfast sandwich on an asiago bagel this morning at Shaw Farm with my friends in town and I'm still dreaming of how good it was. Anyway, chicken sausage is a play on a breakfast sausage and the kale will give you a nutrient boost to start the holiday morning off.


First, I beat 12 whole large eggs in a bowl and mixed in my magic (cheddar and parmesan cheese).


In a large skillet, I started simmering butter, chicken sausage, kale, scallions, and fresh ground pepper.



Next, I combined my egg mixture with the cooked kale and sausage. At first, I was skeptical of putting the pan in the oven, but that's how Alton Brown did it, so in Alton I must trust.



There they are! EGG PIZZAS! I think I'm just going to call them egg pizzas from now on, and get laughed at in the culinary circle. I think it sounds better than frittata anyway.

Have a wonderful holiday, everyone!


Kale and Turkey Sausage Frittata
Ingredients:

  • 5 turkey sausages
  • 2 cups of kale or baby kale
  • 12 whole eggs (can use egg whites)
  • Salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions:
1. Cook the sausages, and slice them into 1/2 in pieces
2. Beat together the egg and pepper
3. Stir in the grated cheeses and set aside
4. In a large oven-proof non-stick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
5. Stir in the kale, salt and pepper, and sausage until kale is wilted and sausage is browned.
6. Make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed on the bottom of the skillet, then add the egg mixture.
7. Let it cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes




Never miss a tweet:

You Might Also Like

0 comments